[mythtv-users] koolu frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 18 19:12:21 UTC 2007

James Orr wrote:

> My first mythtv box was a celeron 466, and that was capable of playback
> and recording at the same time with no problem, but DVD playback
> stuttered a little.

That would make sense. As a comparison point, Dell stopped putting
hardware MPEG decoders into their machines with DVD drives at the point
where they went to PIII 600/500 CPUs. (The Inspiron 7500 was the first
decoder-less laptop IIRC).

> However, I just noticed there is no composite or s-video out on the
> koolu, only VGA, and convertors are expensive enough that it seems more
> cost effective to look for other solutions.

My LCD set has a VGA input, that works quite well as you can adjust the
position/size/timing of the video displayed from that input, certainly
easier than dealing with modelines, over/under-scan values and other
such things.

beww