[mythtv-users] Korean Air uses Linux PVR on flights

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:50:53 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2007, at 6:56 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Be careful, wasn't it supposed to be some sort of problem with the
> > entertainment system that was part of the cause of that SwissAir
> > flight deciding to go swimming?
>
> Well, yes, but in a roundabout way.  Crashing the in-flight
> entertainment system isn't going to crash the aircraft because it's
> completely separate from any flight-critical computer systems.
>
> On the SwissAir flight, the power wiring for the entertainment system
> arced where it had chafed against a bracket.  The resulting fire in
> the overhead area was spread by the ventilation system and was not
> detected until it burned into the cockpit.  The accident caused a
> review of the standards for flameproofing of air ducting and
> insulation on aircraft, which were found to be inadequate.

Nuts...don't you hate people who actually -do- the research and ruin your
fantasy...here I was trying to think of ways to bring down planes through
their LinuxPVR's and you just ruined it for me.  Guess I'm just not cut out
to be a terrorist...

For the humor impaired...the above was in no way, shape, or form meant to be
taken seriously.

Honestly, Thanks David for clearing up what the real fault was.

--
Doug