[mythtv-users] globally starting recordings early/stopping late

David Segall david at segall.net
Tue Sep 18 15:30:32 UTC 2007

norman wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 14:55 +1000, victor rajewski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere in the manual or settings;
>> I want mythtv to provide a 'buffer' for recording times, as they are
>> quite unreliable in Australia. I can easily do this on a per-recording
>> basis, but I'd like to set it globally; e.g. all recording start 5
>> mins before the advertised time and end 5 minutes after. Is this
>> possible?
>
> The only problem with this is if you want to record one programme after
> another. Think about it.
I believe that MythTV assumes that if you set the "before start" and
"past end" time for a particular program then you really mean it. It is
intended to ensure that all of the program is recorded under the heading
of that program. As you rightly point out, it may cause a recording
conflict with successive programs. However, if you supply a global
setting for the "before start" and "past-end" times as described in Brad
DerManouelian's post then MythTV assumes you don't really mean it and
there is no conflict between successive programs. The downside is that
to watch the end of the first program you may have to switch to the
beginning of the second one and it complicates the procedure if you want
to save the first program to DVD.