[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500MCE Question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 18 14:25:23 UTC 2007

Tim Reynolds wrote:
> Hello, I am new to MythTV and I have a question about the 500MCE. I am
> planning on building a PVR for my parents and I want to be sure that I
> pick the right encoding card. This card is a dual-tuner. My question is,
> can the card encode two different shows at once. Everything I have read
> on the card says something to the effect of "Watch a show and record a
> show at the same time", however would like to replicate the features of
> the DVR I own, where I can record two shows and watch a previously
> recorded show at the same time. I just want to be sure that this card
> will be able to do this, in conjunction with an nVidia graphics card and
> an adequately powerful processor. I am worried that this might be a
> stupid question, but I just want to be sure. Otherwise, I would assume
> that I should purchase two 250s or two 150s.

A 500 should do what you want.

A PVR-500 is essentially two PVR-150s on one card, and the two tuners
operate totally independently.

You do get the added convenience of possible tuner problems (with the
newer Samsung tuners).

A pair of 150s might be safer, assuming you have the slots, as you won't
have to worry about the tuner problem.

beww