[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

David Segall david at segall.net
Tue Sep 18 12:38:01 UTC 2007

Damian wrote:
> I've gone back to basics however. Someone's due to be coming this
> afternoon to check my signal. Once I know that's ok we can move on from
> there with baby steps. If he says that the signal is perfect, then I'll
> probably format and try Mythbuntu and if that gives me the same trouble
> then I think I'm out of her.
Try one the pre-packaged MythTV distributions instead. I had minimal
trouble with MythDora <http://g-ding.tv/> but others favour Knoppmyth
<http://www.mysettopbox.tv/>. Be prepared to change some hardware to
something known to work; it is much cheaper than buying a whole new system.

I have no doubt that MythTV is closer to the ideal Media Centre than any
of its competitors but I agree that it requires significantly more
maintenance.