[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 09:47:02 UTC 2007

I was almost at the end of my MythTV project the other day. It's just
too temperamental for me. To many things still yet to do on it and each
time I try to sort something, something else breaks. And in amongst that
I've got random crashes and random inability to watch anything but a
blank or scrambled screen. Followed by myth behaving perfectly for a
week before it all crumbles again without me touching anything.

It's a shame, but on Sunday I even thought of just buying Windows media
centre and having done with it!

I've pulled myself together since then.

I simply don't have time to put such effort into a system. Something has
got to change or I'll just buy a Freeview box or something.

I've gone back to basics however. Someone's due to be coming this
afternoon to check my signal. Once I know that's ok we can move on from
there with baby steps. If he says that the signal is perfect, then I'll
probably format and try Mythbuntu and if that gives me the same trouble
then I think I'm out of her. In the past I'd have loved to spend day
after day learning more and more about Linux and tweaking Myth. these
days, with a demanding job, 3 kids (one of which is just a month old)
there's just no time for a system that needs so much attention and
demands the user to learn so much just to get it to work half ok.

Here's hoping that the ariel guy tells me that my signal is rubbish so
that my system is not totally to blame for all of the problems!

Damian