[mythtv-users] OT Help: mdadm segfault

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 01:50:56 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Unfortunately, I don't get very far trying to diagnose with mdadm - it
> > simply complains that /dev/md0 does not exist whether booted from the
> live
> > CD or not...
> >
> If it is actually running this is good. Do you have a /dev/md0 node?
> ls -l /dev/md*
> If not
> cd /dev
> Then try
> mdadm --assemble --scan
> or if you know all the drives
> mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 <drives>
> /dev/md exists (it is an empty directory)

mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 <drives> results in:
"mdadm: error opening md0: no such file or directory"

so then I tried MAKEDEV md anyway; I got:
"udev active, devices will be created in /dev/.static/dev"

forging ahead, I did
mdadm --assemble /dev/.static/dev/md0 <drives>, and
"mdadm: no recognizable superblock on /dev/sda"
"mdadm: /dev/sda has no superblock - assembly aborted"

Sadly, I got the same "/dev/sd* has no superblock" regardless of which drive
I put first in the list.  So all 4 drives failed simultaneously?

"It is hard not to feel that China has spent the last six years training for
the Olympics while we've spent ourselves into debt on iPods and Al Qaeda."