[mythtv-users] Advice on debugging crashing system needed

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 21:07:00 UTC 2007

I have a problem with my frontend system.  It has recently started
scrambling the display and locking up, sort of.

If I have an ssh session open from the backend, it may or may not be
responsive, but opening a new window and pinging or attempting to start a
new ssh connection times out.

The onset of symptoms is delayed if I leave the cover off or crank up the
cooling fans, so I suspect a thermal related problem.  Once the symptoms
appear, it won't respond to the attached PS/2 keyboard or mouse and hitting
the reset button will make it start rebooting, but it will lock up before I
get to the grub kernel selection dialog.  Typically, the hard drive activity
light won't indicate any activity, although I can hear the DVD drive
checking for media.  Powering down doesn't help unless the system is left
off for more than a few seconds, again suggesting a thermal problem.

I plan on reviewing the logs in /var/logs tonight when I get home (it was
too late to start that kind of activity when the system did this again last
night).

If I can monitor the output of lm_sensors (which I had already configured
some time ago) tonight, I may do that, too.

If I don't find any smoking guns through these approaches, what else do you
suggest I check/test/enable/disable?

FWIW, I'm running FC6 upgraded completely around the first week of
September, along with Myth 0.20.2 on an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard.

All advice welcome.

Craig.