[mythtv-users] Is HD worth it?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 17:13:12 UTC 2007

On 9/16/07, David Fishburn <dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Please read the Wiki before pasting.  Many of your questions can be
> answered
> > Here:
> >  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_HDTV
>
> Thanks for the link Mitchell, it was informative.
>
> It does not particularly address these questions though:
>
> > There is another thread on HD antenna's at the moment, but what are
> > you using to capture the signal?  Do you use an additional antenna for
> > the Air2PC unit?

Yes you have to use an anntenna

> How do I know if I am within range of any OTA signals?  I have found
> > this page (
> http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/Canada_TV_Stations/ON.html)
> > which lists OTA signals for my area.  I don't know if I would be able
> > to pick up any additional channels from outside of the Guelph region
> > (like Kitchener ~ 20 miles / 32 km away).

Not sure for canada.  In the US we have antenna web.  If the towers are 20
miles away get a directional outdoor antenna.  You can pick up signals 50
miles away with a clear site and correctly pointed antenna.

> What would be some other good choices I can look at to figure out what
> > I might like to purchase?  I have seen a lot of posts about the
> > HDHomeRun (~169.00 US).  I currently use a Hauppauge card to capture
> > SD which does the mpg conversion automatically for me.   The Air2PC
> > does not, I am not sure how much impact that has the system while
> > capturing such a large stream (HD).

HD material is already a digtal MPEG stream.  So all that is required is to
dump the stream to the disk.  this requires near nothing for the computer

So at my home right now I have:

> 1.  Rogers (cable) and might possibly get a set top box for the HD
> channels
> - This will require QAM

To get QAM channel you dont use a STB.  You connect you QAM tuner to the
cable and scan to see what you can pick up.  usually just the locals. you
only use the STB to caputer off the Firewire ports (not sure about this in
Canada.

2.  Bell ExpressVu (satellite receiver model 3100, component and svideo
> outputs)

not going to be of any use to capture HD

3.  OTA channels (see question above for range).
> - Does this require an antenna?  (I think it does, but do you get one,
> then test later?)

yes of course it requires an antenna.  OTA is not differant the getting TV
with bunny ears.  Just digital channels.

At this point I think 3 might be the priority.  Which hardware would
> people recommend given my choices above?
>
> TIA,
> Dave

Does this answer your questions?

Mitchell