[mythtv-users] Celeron D 2.8Ghz vs Semptron 3000+

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Sep 16 14:23:52 UTC 2007

Matthew Hager wrote:
> Right now at the price point I'm after, you can pick up a 2.8Ghz Celeron D
> 336 for about $38.00 (give or take).  For about the same price you can pick
> up an AMD Semptron 3000+ cpu.
>
> The system I'm intending to drive is an AGP based HD-capable frontend.  The
> semptron runs at 1.6GHz, raw clock.  For the price, would going for the
> greater number of clock cycles do more good than the "more efficient"
> clocks that the AMD line is known for when compared to an Intel variant?
>
> At first glance, it seems obvious to go with the Celeron?

Personally I'd stay away from either of those "economy" CPUs, as you can
pick up an Athlon 65 3500+ for $44.50 or Pentium $ 3.4 Ghz. for $65.

An extra $20 or $25 will get you a much larger cache and generally a
better product. Nobody I know has ever regretted buying "too much" CPU.

Though AMD will deny it, their numbers on Semprons tell you the
approximate equivalent in the Celeron line, and the Athlon numbers the
approx. P4 equivalent.

beww