[mythtv-users] Your thoughts on Cases .. The hardest part of the whole HTPC Process

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sat Sep 15 02:25:25 UTC 2007

Ben Kevan wrote:
> So,
>
> Let me first add.. I am on a budget.. Now on to the rest
>
> I originally was going to get a barebone system from NewEgg.com (the P1-AH2
> ASUS)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110057&Tpk=P1-AH2
>
> But am starting to shift my wants to a:
>
> ASUS M2NPV-VM
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014
>
> Since there is more upgradability and it has the HDTV Output Module (the
> P1-AH2 did not)
>
> Now comes the hardest part of the WHOLE HTPC Process IMO, the damned CASE.
>
> They current case I am looking at is the following:
>
> nMEIDAPC HTPC 200BA Black Aluminum / Plastic / Steel Micro ATX Media Center
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204004

We a combination of M2NPV-VM and the 180B for myPVR. The 200 has similar
features
> First things I notice are:
>
> No front IR
> What the hell good do the front AV Capture ports do?

Depends how you wire them, but in general headphones and microphone

> Under "Features" it lists S/PDIF Output Jack, but I didn't see it anywhere..
> Must be on the back somewhere

It is a composite jack built into the back of the case

> Also under "Features" it lists Universal Internal IR Rack.. What the heck does
> that mean? Would I just have to run the IR and lay it on the top of the unit?
> Strange..

You can take you IR unit, usually USB based, and mount it inside the case
> Thanks for all the help guys.. This has been one of the most active Mailing
> lists i've ever been on..

Steve

--
Steven Ellis - Technical Director