[mythtv-users] Your thoughts on Cases .. The hardest part of the whole HTPC Process

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sat Sep 15 02:25:25 UTC 2007

Ben Kevan wrote:
> So,
> Let me first add.. I am on a budget.. Now on to the rest
> I originally was going to get a barebone system from NewEgg.com (the P1-AH2
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110057&Tpk=P1-AH2
> But am starting to shift my wants to a:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014
> Since there is more upgradability and it has the HDTV Output Module (the
> P1-AH2 did not)
> Now comes the hardest part of the WHOLE HTPC Process IMO, the damned CASE.
> They current case I am looking at is the following:
> nMEIDAPC HTPC 200BA Black Aluminum / Plastic / Steel Micro ATX Media Center
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204004
We a combination of M2NPV-VM and the 180B for myPVR. The 200 has similar
> First things I notice are:
> No front IR
> What the hell good do the front AV Capture ports do?
Depends how you wire them, but in general headphones and microphone

> Under "Features" it lists S/PDIF Output Jack, but I didn't see it anywhere..
> Must be on the back somewhere
It is a composite jack built into the back of the case

> Also under "Features" it lists Universal Internal IR Rack.. What the heck does
> that mean? Would I just have to run the IR and lay it on the top of the unit?
> Strange..
You can take you IR unit, usually USB based, and mount it inside the case
> Thanks for all the help guys.. This has been one of the most active Mailing
> lists i've ever been on..

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz