[mythtv-users] Understanding HD Antennas ( was HDHomeRun and jumpy video)

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 14 21:30:11 UTC 2007

>> The antenna I picked up is this little powered antenna that is about
>> 3.5" x 7" x 1/2".  It's ever so slightly bow shaped with a long (3ft)
>> extendable antenna off of the back of it.  When I bought it, I figured I
>> was only picking it up for testing/proof of concept.  Antennaweb shows
>> all of the stations to be ~21miles from my house at 277Degrees (almost
>> due-west).  I'm betting I probably need something a little more serious
>> than this thing...
>
> 21 miles, if you are line-of-sight, should work OK with a basic indoor
> antenna, maybe:
>
> Something you get with a "better" antenna, in addition to more gain, is
> better directionality (ie: rejection of "off-axis" signals). Sometimes,
> even if you have adequate signal strength, you also have reflections
> that are also of "adequate" strength to cause problems.
>
> So a better antenna, even without amplification, can make a difference
> even at what should be close distances.
>
> beww

I'm having HD antenna problems myself right now.  My signal strength is
fine but I have unstable signal to noise ratio.  :-(  I have an
HDHomerun, which I love, with a Antennas Direct DB4 in the attic.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB4_HDTV_antenna.html

The antenna is directly attached to tuner0 of the hdhomerun with no
amplifier.

Antennaweb said that I needed a Small Multi-direction Antenna.  Since I
was going to be mounting it in an attic I up sized to a Medium
Multi-directional antenna.  I wonder if my noise problems are due to the
Muli-directional antenna?  Any idea where I would go looking for the
noise problem?  I have one of those DC offset amplifiers.  I'm going to
give it a try this weekend.

Any advise would be helpful .. thanks,
Jon