[mythtv-users] question about HD HomeRun

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Fri Sep 14 20:32:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 01:15:35PM -0700, Robert Tsai wrote:
> How does the HD HomeRun work? I couldn't figure it out from their
> website. My understanding is that it is essentially a coax-to-UDP
> adapter for OTA HDTV.

An HDHR is a small grey box. It contains two tuners, which can
each listen independently to clear QAM (cable) or 8VSB (OTA)
signals, and an IR receiver. There is a 100Mb/s ethernet port to
connect to your network.

> Is it constantly just spewing traffic over the network, "broadcasting"
> to anyone who will listen, or will it only "broadcast" if something
> tells it to start sending stuff?

Only when told. Each tuner has to be commanded to pick a channel
and a program, then pick an IP target to send to.

> Is this over multicast or unicast? If two clients connect to the HDHR
> for the same thing, is that twice the traffic?

It only sends one stream per tuner. You could hook it to a hub
and put an ethernet card in promiscuous mode, then filter in
that traffic, I think, but I haven't done that.

> Or is there a better document I can read somewhere?

Read the forums at www.silicondust.com, especially the FAQs.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.