[mythtv-users] Your thoughts on Cases .. The hardest part of the whole HTPC Process

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:44:00 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> Doug Young wrote:
> > On 9/14/07, *Ben Kevan* <ben.kevan at gmail.com
> > <mailto:ben.kevan at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Let me first add.. I am on a budget.. Now on to the rest
> >

> > [snip
> >
> >     They current case I am looking at is the following:
> >
> >     nMEIDAPC HTPC 200BA Black Aluminum / Plastic / Steel Micro ATX Media
> >     Center
> >     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204004
> >     <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204004>
> >
> >     First things I notice are:
> >
> >     No front IR
> >     What the hell good do the front AV Capture ports do?
> >
> >     Under "Features" it lists S/PDIF Output Jack, but I didn't see it
> >     anywhere..
> >     Must be on the back somewhere
> >
> >     Also under "Features" it lists Universal Internal IR Rack.. What the
> >     heck does
> >     that mean? Would I just have to run the IR and lay it on the top of
> >     the unit?
> >     Strange..

I have that exact case and love it.  To answer your questions:
> No front IR

yes there is see below...

>     What the hell good do the front AV Capture ports do?

you can plug them into a PVR card and use as second inputs to the PVR.  yes
you can only record 1 channel at  time.  but this gives you the option to
have more devices connected to the card.  This is supported in IVTV and in
Myth (if you look at the inputs in setup you will see them)

>Under "Features" it lists S/PDIF Output Jack, but I didn't see it
>     anywhere..
>     Must be on the back somewhere

There is a PCI bracket right above the PSU for the plug.  It then connects
to your motherboards SPDIF out header.  I use this and it works great.  Most
motherboards have this header too.  btw it Coax.

Also under "Features" it lists Universal Internal IR Rack.. What the
>     heck does
>     that mean? Would I just have to run the IR and lay it on the top of
>     the unit?

There is a Rack you can mount your IR reciever to.  It is built for a MCE
reciever but you can modify for any reciever, I did this also.  it sits
right below the CDROM.

For a CPU cooler I use a nMedia PC Icecone.  its quiet and fits the case
perfect.  Also get a ATX PSU with a 120mm fan and you will get one silent
PC.

all in all recommended.  The only issue is the LCD is kinda worthless but it
can be upgraded to a programmable one.

Mitchell