[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun and jumpy video

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Sep 14 14:12:40 UTC 2007

Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:48:18PM -0400, Rich West wrote:
>
>> I've got a new HDHomeRun and a mediocre antenna set up which is showing
>> excellent signal quality on the major stations in the area.  However,
>> when those stations are viewed via mythtv, the video looks great except
>> for the fact that it seems to stutter about once a second.  One station
>> has the audio delayed by about a second, as well...
>>
>> Viewing through VLC is a little better, but not a whole lot....
>>
>> Before I go digging further, and possibly buying a better antenna, would
>> an antenna cause the stutter, or is this possibly a limitation of the
>> backend and/or frontend? (viewing via VLC is, obviously, direct to the
>> HDHR, whereas via mythtv it's going through the backend).
>>

> What's your hardware on the frontend? Have you had perfect HD
> playback before?

This is my first foray in to HD on this box other than playing DVD's or
DivX/MPEG-4 HD video.

The FE's have AMD64 3000+'s, 512MB RAM, local IDE drive, nVidia GeForce
6200.  The machines have always been rather bored.  Even when I was
pushing HD during my tests last night, the machines were still bored...

I guess I'll hit up RadioShack or something for a decent powered antenna
vs the tiny thing I picked up at HomeDepot and give it another shot this
evening.

-Rich