[mythtv-users] My first MythTv box, first linux box and first build

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Sep 13 06:54:57 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Justin Corner
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:49 PM
To: 'Discussion about mythtv'
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] My first MythTv box,first linux box and first
build

you can save $40 on your power supply, use the money for some other
component, i just bought two of them.

http://www.xoxide.com/powmax-demon-480w-psu.html

 >> Here's my current  <http://newegg.com> http://newegg.com shopping
list...

	SILVERSTONE SST-LC17-B Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811163055> mm SECC
body ATX Media Center / HTPC Desktop Computer Case - Retail
Model #: SST-LC17-B
Item #: N82E16811163055

$139.99 	-$20.00 Instant   	$119.99

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131013> AMD
Motherboard - Retail
Model #: M2N-SLI Deluxe
Item #: N82E16813131013
$139.99 	  	$139.99

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE White box PCI Interface
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815116628> Personal
Video Recorder - Retail
Model #: 1081
Item #: N82E16815116628
	$139.99 	  	$139.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103771> Processor
Model ADA5600CZBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA5600CZBOX
Item #: N82E16819103771
$149.50 	  	$149.50

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134117> DDR2 800
(PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/2G - OEM
Model #: KVR800D2N5K2/2G
Item #: N82E16820134117
$119.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148136> SATA
3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: ST3500630AS
Item #: N82E16822148136
$119.99 	  x3 	$359.97 - Thinking of software raid 5 with LVM.

Subtotal:

I would recommend at least 1gb of ram, because if you are going to be doing
transcoding, that takes up extra memory. Also, what distro are you planning
on using...that makes a big difference. I'm using ubuntu feisty, and when it
all loads up with myth and all, it's using around 900mb ram. I have 1gb
total. When i transcode, or when comm flagging starts up, it starts using
the swap. Still, never had a problem.

Also, unless you will be doing tons of transcoding, you wont need a
processor that fast. You could save a few bucks here.

Lastly, get a good power supply. If it goes out, you could lose a drive, the
board, or anything else. I'd save the money on the ram and stick with teh
1gb since that's been enough for me and seems to be more than enough for
most myth users and go with a good name brand power supply that has a ton of
newegg good reviews.

-my two cents

-Steve