[mythtv-users] Java Network Remote for frontend

Mark Boyum mark at boyum.us
Thu Sep 13 03:22:13 UTC 2007

I purchased a cheap bttv based capture card last spring and built a Myth box
based on my wife's frustrations with missing shows whenever we forgot to
prep the VCR.  I used an old 1.4GHZ AMD white box pc I had laying around.
With Mandriva 2007.0 as the OS, I compiled and got it working well enough
for our needs (glorified VCR).  At the time we used MythTV Player to watch
the shows via her laptop's s-video connection to our TV.

This summer, while her shows are off the air, I re-built the box with Ubuntu
Fiesty and installed the pre-built packages.  The system is running much
better now.  In fact, live tv would work in a pinch as it only experiences
random split second pauses every five or so minutes.  After two or three
nights of tinkering, until the small hours of the morning, I got the TV
output on the video card working and am looking forward to hooking it up to
the living room TV.

Now that I've given more useless background than anyone on this list cares
about.
I remember (quite a while ago) that somebody submitted a java based network
remote.  None of my searches have turned up the post.  Does anybody have a
functional network remote that can be run on Windows for a .20.2 frontend?

Doesn't need to be fancy, just want to be able to kick off playback on the
frontend from my wife's laptop.  This will eliminate having to connect the
laptop to the TV everytime we want to watch a recording.  Hopefully it will
open the door to get a real remote for the system.

Thanks,
-Mark