[mythtv-users] Simple On-the-fly record issues

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Sep 12 20:08:14 UTC 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 1:00 PM, mistersulu wrote:

> That may be my best option.  I've found many "feature request"
> postings for a
> "one touch record" feature similar to VCRs, but no real feedback from
> developers.  Nonetheless, thank you very much for suggestion, as it
> seems to
> be the best possible solution to my problem.  GUIs tend to
> convolute the
> issues, imo.

Yeah, I think GUIs make sense for editing, but are less useful for
capturing.

I've found dvbcut works pretty well for trimming the MPEG file once
it's recorded.  (That way you don't have to be particularly accurate
with where you start and end the capture.)  It can trim MPEG-2 files
without re-encoding the whole thing, which helps preserve quality.
Of course if you're planning on transcoding to some other format, you
can always do any trimming with your transcoding tool, as well.