[mythtv-users] Apple X11 or XDarwin?

Eric Robinson ryunokokoro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 17:01:01 UTC 2007

Kent Watsen wrote:
>> Well, it's got to decode 1080p content in some way, right?  If it ever
>> comes to the point where you can take a BluRay or HD-DVD and rip it
>> across then playback a high bitrate H.264 encoded (transcoded from VC1
>> or what-have-you on the backend, of course) file...  That's going to
>> take some CPU.  And in order to ensure a hiccup-free experience...  My
>> father wasn't worried about the price-difference for what we got.
>>
> Thats true, my bad, I forgot that my old thinking was that backend box
> was also a frontend and hence had a DVD tray - I guess the image is
> still burned in my head

Here's a downloadable movie that I was able to use as a benchmark for
1080p playback:
http://www.elephantsdream.org/

It's 11 minutes long and supports surround sound audio as well.  On my
older, personal Mac Mini, it ran without a hiccup but CPU monitoring
showed that both cores were pretty well 100% taxed to do it.  Having the
extra breathing room for 1080p seems a safer bet, I guess...