[mythtv-users] NFS issue

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 01:59:27 UTC 2007

From: "Nick Morrott" <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>

> On 11/09/2007, Harry Devine wrote:
> >
> > I have a FC6 box as my main PC aside from my MythTV box (which is also FC6).
> > I setup and NFS share on my main box to share my MP3 collection. I would
> > like to mount to that directory from my MythTV box to copy over all of the
> > MP3s to use in MythMusic. However, whenever I try to mount the directory, I
> > get the following error message:
> >
> > "mount: mount to NFS server '192.168.1.102' failed: System Error: No route
> > to host."
>
> Do other networking utilities (ssh/ftp etc) allow you to connect to
> the main PC from your MythTV machine when the firewall is up? No route
> to host seems like a fairly low-level network problem.
>
> Check the output of
>
> # rpcinfo -p
>
> for the current ports being used, and read
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Share_Directories_via_NFS
>
> Do you have rules for 111 udp/tcp in addition to the nfsd port 2049?
>
> If you still have problems, might I suggest you look at Shorewall to
> replace the default Fedora firewall. It makes configuring your
> firewall methodical yet straightforward.
> --
> Nick Morrott
>
> MythTV Official wiki:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/
>
> "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

I checked rpcinfo on both machines and saw that the correct ports are being used.  I added port 111 to both firewalls (the Myth box and the NFS server) and restarted both, but I still cannot connect.  When I try mounting the share from my Myth box now, I get the following timeout errors:

                    mount: mount to NFS server '192.168.1.102' failed: timed out (retrying)

It does this 4 times and gives up on the 5th.  Nothing shows up in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure on the NFS server.  I can successfully SSH over to the NFS server from my Myth box, and ping works as well.  Also, I did look at the link that you provided, but nothing in there seemed to apply too well (I'm running FC6 & Myth installed by MythDora 4.0).

Thanks for the help,
Harry