[mythtv-users] Is mythtv threaded

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Sep 11 19:36:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:59:41AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
> >> If it is threaded it would be worthwhile to test MythTV on a cluster of
> >> cheap machines. The transcoding for one would be a lot faster. Maybe a
> >> decent primary machine is needed to handle the capture cards, but the
> >> transcoding could be offloaded to the other nodes of the cluster.
> >>
> > I know that Transcoding is not threaded as my second cpu never goes
> > over 5% when I am transcoding a single mpeg.
>
> Sounds like whatever you're using to transcode (ffmpeg?) was not
> compiled with threading support.

	...that is a GOOD thing.

	The fact that badly behaiving processes have a sort of physical
limitation with respect to how much of the system they can soak up is
actually very good in the end.

	You don't really want to give something that can infact take
over the whole box the capacity to actually do so.