[mythtv-users] Advice - Upgrade Backend/Frontend combo or new dedicated frontend

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 19:15:15 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, Kisner, Thomas <tkisner at necunified.com> wrote:
> >I'm guessing that the reason you're having trouble playing HD is more
> >related to the fact that it's a combination front/back than anything.
>
> It's the first thing I tried before I was doing any recording or
> commflagging.  But I didn't check to see who much the backend processes
> were eating the CPU.  The guy who does MiniMyth (which is obviously
> always a dedicated frontend) states that you can display perfect HD
> without XvMC with an Athlon 64 3200+, so I wasn't -sure- if I was
> under-powered with a 3000+.  With your results I guess not.
>
> I just don't know what the approximate threshold is for a
> Frontend/Backend combo or if HD will work good with wireless to a new
> frontend.

My personal opinion would be to split your systems.  I'm a believer of
dedicated systems for dedicated tasks (to a certain extent).  You'll
find much more flexibility with splitting the two systems up imo.

You *might* be able to play back hd with you 3000+ (which is not the
same as a p4 running at 3GHz btw) if you split your systems.  I would
give mythfrontend a higher priority and see if that helps as well, but
making your 3000+ a dedicated frontend might free up enough resources
to let you get rid of xvmc.  But it is on the low end of being able to
playback HD.

And HD over wireless?  Brave man.  Good luck with that.  802.11a will
be your best bet.