[mythtv-users] adding 3rd tuner, is my plan OK?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Tue Sep 11 17:45:57 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm planning to add a 3rd ATSC card to my system, but connected to an
antenna which is pointed in a different direction than my main
antenna.  My goal is to pick up PBS perfectly, as the PBS tower is in
a different direction than all my other channels.  I'm concerned about
distinguising between the cards in case the hardware changes, or the
PCI bus probe order changes, etc.  My current DVB cards are a dvico
fusion hdtv5 gold (cx88) and an air2pc hd5000 (b2c-flexcop).  I'm
planning to add an air2pc (also b2c-flexcop, but old nxt2002 chip).

Unfortunately, udevinfo provides no identifying information that I can
find for my existing cards (*).  I was planning to write a script which
uses a small C program to get the FE_GET_INFO info name ("LG
Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM Frontend" for both my existing cards) and
create symlinks based on that. (All links in the range
/dev/dvb/adapter[4..6] point at /dev/dvb/adaptor[0..2]).

After adding the card and verifying the script works (and is run
before the backed starts), I was planning to:

- delete the existing capture cards, video sources, and inputs.
- scan for channels using the aliased /dev/dev/adaptors (4,5,6)
- hook up a single SD lineup to all cards
- delete the PBS station from the LG adaptors on the main antenna
- delete everything but PBS from the nxt2002 adaptor on the secondary
  antenna.

So, before I start, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Drew

(*)
# udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)

udevinfo starts with the device the node belongs to and then walks up the
device chain, to print for every device found, all possibly useful attributes
in the udev key format.
Only attributes within one device section may be used together in one rule,
to match the device for which the node will be created.

  looking at device '/class/dvb/dvb0.frontend0':
    KERNEL=="dvb0.frontend0"
    SUBSYSTEM=="dvb"
    SYSFS{dev}=="212:3"
    SYSFS{uevent}==""