[mythtv-users] Can an old school installation be salvaged?

Jon jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:49:43 UTC 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:27 AM, Dan Berger wrote:
> The problem, however, is that I’m still running FC3 (2.6.11-1.35)
> and MythTV 0.19. I haven’t upgraded the box since around June of
> 2006, an installation that still use apt-get. Needless to say, when
> I try to upgrade or dist-upgrade, dead/neglected repositories and
> cannot proceed.
Unfortunately, there is no FC3 rpms available that I am aware of. FC6
seems to be the oldest supported version, so regardless of your use
of upgrade methods, you won't find the packages...

>  Has anyone been able to make this comeback? Is the only way of
> moving forward starting from scratch? Should I try switching to
> yum? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
First I would suggest you dump your database and all your recordings
to secondary drive in case things go all wonky (provided you have one
available). Then I would suggest just uninstalling the mythtv rpms
and compiling .20.2 from source. Otherwise you have to upgrade your
entire install, which wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you were
able to backup your recordings and your database, because you can
import them to the .20.2 system once it's set up.