[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Tue Sep 11 11:13:25 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> We've all been *exceptionally* clear in explaining precisely why it is
> that we would -- as the community of this list -- generally prefer to
> see discussion of scraping-which-violates-expressed-terms-of-service of
> listings providers --

Might I just comment as a member of the community of this list that I'd
be happy to see discussion on any fair-use technology that allows US
users to obtain listings?  I won't claim to be speaking as "the
community of this list" - just as a member thereof.  If I meet the
community of this list in person I'll be sure to ask his opinion of the
subject.

For the number of tangentially-myth-related issues that get discussed on
this list (video drivers, ivtv, linux admin, lvm, mdadm, Nextel PTT,
etc) I think that obtaining scheduling data is closer to core than most.

I certainly don't advocate violating the law, but enabling website users
to use the listings they can access on a website in their own software
for personal use should be fair-use.  The whole purpose of mythtv is to
enable the wholesale recording of copyrighted materials for personal
use, including copying onto DVDs, streaming off of websites, etc.
Redistribution of this material by the project would certainly infringe
fair use, but the whole premise of the DVR is that end-users can or
ought to be able to use tools furnished by others to make copies of
copyrighted materials for personal use.  And while to my knowledge
nobody has been sued over screen-scraping listings data into a program
there have certainly been lawsuits over DVRs and recording technology in
general.

Obviously not everybody on this list agrees on this position, and that
is perfectly fine.  I don't really see any point in arguing over it, and
 my point in voicing my opinion isn't to add to the noise so much as to
encourage those who have something meaningful to add to add it and not
be put off because a couple of really vocal people want to stifle
discussion on a particular topic.  If you feel very strongly about
screen-scraping then just delete any said topics that you notice on the
list - in the total volume of this list they're going to end up being a
small fraction of the posts...