[mythtv-users] what does non-profit mean? (was: OH NO, WE'VE BEEN CONNED!)

Dale E. Martin dale at the-martins.org
Tue Sep 11 00:35:30 UTC 2007

> I'm not sure even that's true... I don't know much about the topic of
> non-profit other than my wife worked as the payroll coordinator for a
> non-profit organization for 3 years.  I do know that every single
> person who worked there, include the president, CEO, and CFO all made
> a salary, including bonuses.

The CEO of the American Cancer Society made $535k last year:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/6495.htm

I'm no lawyer, but my understanding has always been that non profits can
pay "fair compensation" to their employees.  (That guy manages close to
$1B, so $530k may be fair!)

Have said that, I signed up for SD and I want everyone else to so:
- they can continue pay for the data
- it can go down to $20/year ($1.67/month)
- they CAN pay someone to add features, fix data, etc etc

Do the math, how many people have to sign up for them to cover the data and
bandwidth?  (One post suggested $24k/year for the data, there's hardware,
bandwidth, etc.)  Unless I'm completely deluded about the number of people
using free DVR software, nobody is getting rich quick even if it stays at
$60/year forever.  In the US, starting salary for a CS grad is over $50k,
double that with overhead expenses (health insurance, benefits, etc.) and
you need 1700 people to sign up to hire a newbie with no fixed costs.

At the end of the day the value proposition for $1.67-$5.00/month looks
pretty good for me.  I realize this might not be the case for everyone, but
I'm guessing it is for the silent majority on this list.

As far as discussing other ways of feeding xmltv, that seems like a good
subject for the xmltv mailing lists to me.  But again, that's just my
opinion. :-)

Take care,
  Dale
Dale E. Martin - dale at the-martins.org