[mythtv-users] RAID versus Drobo

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 10 19:27:14 UTC 2007

Asher wrote:
> From drobo's page it only supports NTFS and HFS+ (also only win/mac
> support for their utility)  I see that as the largest deal breaker
> unless there is a good way around it.

Even if there is a way around it, I wouldn't want to support a vendor
that's ignoring us Unix folks.

The product also seems expensive for what you get, you could obtain a
used old PC and put some drives in it, use Linux software RAID and have
a more flexible product for less money.

There are many NAS products on the market, many of which have open
source alternative software available that run full-blown Linux systems.
The NSLU2 is an example, but I'd want something a tad faster for HD.

The Synology DS101, the Iomega NAS100d and the D-Link DSMG600 are other
examples.

beww