[mythtv-users] Apple X11 or XDarwin?

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 17:52:38 UTC 2007

On 9/9/07, Eric Robinson <ryunokokoro at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I've decided upon a Linux backend with Mac Mini Frontends for my home
> network.  I've scanned the docs on the wiki and have found no mention
> whatsoever of compatibility (or lack thereof) with Apple's own X11
> implementation.  And therein lies my question:
>
> Is XDarwin necessary for OSX or can you simply use the Apple provided
> X11.app?
>
> X11.app would *seriously* simplify the installation process as you can ask
> OSX to install it right off the disk and get updates directly from Apple.
>

> Also, and this is admittedly off-topic, I'm making an HD-capable MythTV
> setup.  I read in another message that the 1.83Ghz version of the Mac Mini
> should be fine for 1080p playback.  What's the recommended amount of RAM?
> It comes with 1GB.  Is 2GB a better choice or does 1GB suffice?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

> I'm watching HD on an "original" 1.66GHz mini (the one that came out the
same time as the "core solo").  Plays back perfectly.  It only came with
512MB RAM, so as long as I was going to go to the troble of tearing it
apart, I installed 2GB.  I believe the only issue for mythfrontend is
handling the more involved widescreen themes; try bluetoob wide and see what
you think.

Also, I ended up installing X11/XCodeTools myself (relatively simple, just
pop the install disk back in.  There are instructions on apples website).  I
needed it in order to compile some bits of perl that were missing in OSX.
Without these, the scripts in Video Manager that go and get pictures and
descriptions of your ripped DVDs off of IMDB wouldn't work.
--
"It's easy enough to name those who would piss themselves with joy over the