[mythtv-users] RAID versus Drobo

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Sep 9 23:25:31 UTC 2007

Eric Robinson wrote:
> Wade Maxfield wrote:
>>> I guess my question about the Drobo really boils down to the
>>> throughput.  Is USB 2.0 fast enough for HD content storage in a Myth
>>> setup with multiple Frontends?
>>>

>> The question isn't if USB is fast enough, it's whether the Drobo is
>> fast enough. You might want to check out a review of a Drobo, the USB
>> 2.0 bus doesn't seem to be the limiting factor in throughput.
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/storage-robot-at-your-service-a-review-of-the-drobo.ars
>>
>>   - Wade
>>
> Very true.  Tom's Hardware did a review of the thing a while back, too,
> and even have a spiffy little graph to show the speeds.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/27/meet_drobo/page10.html#performance
>
> It appears that reads and writes tend to stay under 20 Mbps.

Wow! That's pretty dismal. I get better performance from my Linksys
NSLU2 (aka "slug").

Have a look at this:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/gerard_rick/premiere-pro-HD.php

Of course if you plan to record one stream while watching another,
record multiple streams, or do anything else requiring disk I/O at the
same time you'll want more than that chart implies.

beww