[mythtv-users] linux updates suck

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Sat Sep 8 21:47:59 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 02:40:44PM -0700, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> This is why I am so hesitant to do updates in mythtv. Why can't linux
> updates go right...ever? This is probably the 20th time or so that I've
> tried doing updates in linux over the past year, with a few different
> distros even, and every single time, it seems like something that was
> working just fine now no longer works and need fixing.

I have a box which got Debian 1.2 installed on it, many years
ago. It now has Debian 4.0. Every single update and OS change
was done with the standard tools, without taking the box down
except for kernel changes, and with a minimum of fuss and
bother.

If you really desire stability, Debian is the way to go.

There are tradeoffs. One of them is a release cycle which
doesn't make any guarantees whatsoever about when you'll get the
next version. In the period between stable releases, a desktop
user can (and usually will) start to feel that everyone else has
cooler toys and features.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.