[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Sep 7 21:26:12 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> I think that someone who has problems scrounging up $5 a month probably
> didn't have the money to build a Myth box in the first place.
>
> Sure.  Any reasonable, reliable mythbox, right now, September 7, is
> gonna run around $500-800 in parts, all new.

I think that kind of attitude shows insensitivity. You don't know the history
behind the lack of cash.

My situation, for example. Last year, when I built my Myth systems, I had a job,
and cash. The Myth project was showing some promise, and the production boxes
had been specified and budgeted for. Last September I had to give up work, and
have subsequently been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME). No job, no
cash. But I have an already-built Myth system, a brain that is largely
unaffected, and time on my hands. I watch quite a lot of TV, when I'm awake.

Did I mention cash is tight? Lots of things I could improve, but I can only make
the tiniest hardware improvements at the moment. Software, no problem currently.
But if I have to reduce my broadband contract it could get difficult downloading
updates in the future. The better half now does two jobs, despite reaching
pension age in May.

So don't judge other's situations when you don't know the circumstances.

Mike Perkins