[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 7 20:02:03 UTC 2007

On 09/07/2007 09:27 AM, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> *sigh* If one takes off one's tin-foil hat, it's clear that the DD
> service was canceled.  The SD folks scampered to get an agreement w/
> Tribune so that we can all still enjoy listing data.
>
> It's in the project's best interest to promote SD as the primary
> listing source, not because it's making 'mad ca$h' for the SD guys,
> but because it provides the best experience for the majority of Myth
> users. (Scrapers are less reliable.. yadda...yadda..yadda..)
>
> Personally, I believe SD when they say that they're not making money
> on the venture.  So, it's not about them being "selfish" or their
> ability to 'receive royalties'.

And, if you don't want to use SD, don't.

Please allow me--the great non-SD listings discussion quasher--to also
mention another listings source from CTpvr,
http://ctpvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1682#1682 .

True, it seems that CT TV listings requires Windows, but most of us have
access to a Windows box (still have it installed on that Dell or Gateway
or HP box you bought), so that probably won't cost anything extra.

True, the guys who were putting it together missed the Sep 1 cut-off
deadline for getting their service up and running due to legal issues
(and it's still not "open").

But, hey, it's cheaper than SDl.  It's only $3.50/month, or you can sign
up (er, will be able to sign up once they open) for only $30/year.

So, if you prefer to use it, feel free to do so.  If you want to discuss
it here, feel free to do so.

Of course, if you pay $15 for 3 months of SD and then $20 for an
additional 12 months of SD, you're paying $35 for 15 months--meaning a
per-month cost of $2.33.  If you pay for 12 months of CT TV at $30, then
your per-month cost is $2.50.

Of course, for the really cost-conscious ones, you can sign up for CT TV
for $3.50/month for 3 months and then sign up for SD for $20/year and
get 15 months for $30.50--only $2.03 per month.  So, by using your
Windows box to get data and finding a way to copy it over to your Myth
box for mythfilldatabase, you can save $0.30/month amortized over 15
months.  (Or, in the next 3 months you'll save a total of $4.50.)

But, then again, if SD decides to drop the price of subscriptions before
the initial 3 months is out, there's a good chance (in my--completely
guessing--opinion) that they'll do so /and/ allow any SD users who have
already signed up for the 3 month subscription to pay an extra $5 to
extend the subscription to a 12-month subscription--i.e. as if you
signed up for 12 months at $20/year on Sep 1, 2007.  If that's the case,
then going directly with SD is the cheapest solution.

So, using this information (directly out of my crystal ball) and making
your own opinions and considering your own risk acceptance level, feel
free to go out and make an informed decision about your listings provider.

(Not saying you can't use a scraper, instead.  Just pointing out another
non-SD source--especially for those who don't mind paying for a reliable
listings source, but are unwilling to work with SD because of "all the
FUD they spread" :).

BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm not associated with CT TV
or CTpvr in any way (other than as someone who has read the forum post
to which I linked).  I am not using CT TV listings, I've chosen to go
with SD.

Mike