[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:44:04 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Kevin Hulse <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 11:21:37AM -0700, Andreas wrote:

> > > Dude.  It's *5 dollars*.  You could save that by forgoing your morning
> > > coffee for a few days.  And that's over double what the expected target
> > > fee structure will be.
> > >
> > > Honestly, if you can't scrounge up a few bucks a month for quality
> > > listings data, you really should be rethinking your finances a bit.
> > > That, or reconsidering why you built a Myth box in the first place.
> >
> > you really think that someone who has problems "scrounging up a few bucks"
> > did not already rethink his finances over and over?
>
>        Been there, done that, have the battle scars.
>
>        No, I don't think this guy has really seriously (or competently)
> reconsidered his finances if he's worried about another 5 bux while
> posting HERE.
>
>        Being a cheap bastard is one thing, living beyond your means
> is another.
>

> > And "reconsider why you built a Myth box"? Maybe you want to lay out the
> > minimum financial specifications for a Myth box builder and put that info
> > in the wiki ?
>
>        "It's really cool. If it breaks and you can't afford to fix it. It will really suck."
>
>        In the best case, you will eventually have to replace parts of the system as they wear out.

I'm sorry, but I have to say that it's notne of your business to
criticize how someone budgets their money.  Who are you to lecture
people on their finances?  $5 to you might not be a big deal, and it
might not be a big deal to 90% of SD users, but you know what, $5 is
$5.  If he believes that $5 spent is better off on his family and
other expenses, then I can't argue with that.  You're looking strictly
at the dollar ammount and stating that it's not much so just spend it.
 That's why people in the world are getting more and more in debt
every day... by conviencing themselves "it's just another $5, what
could that hurt?".

I have a wife too, who can't live without the mythbox, but she'll let
me know everytime it crashes, is slow, misses a showing, etc and say:
"let's just use the STB we pay for so I can watch my stupid TV show
without you having to fix something".

As stable as myth is, it's not really stable enough that I could build
a mythbox for someone and not have to worry about it.  Also, paying
for something that used to be free or that you are just "playing" with
isn't always a simple decision regarless of the price point put on it.

Something is only as valuable as what someone else is willing to pay
for it.  And since we're all unique, that's not a universal number.

Thanks!
Matt