[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

James Gutshall Jr warchildx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 18:25:16 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Joe Menola <menola at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Friday 07 September 2007 12:59:46 pm Brett Kosinski wrote:
> now
> cannot
> > >
> > > I strongly disagree with this comment.  I for one do work my butt
> off.  I
> > > have a family, bills, and a kid.
> > > The "cannot afford $5 per month" may not specifically be not having
> the
> > > $5.  it is the fact of justifying spending the $5 for listing data
> versus
> > > spending it on your family.
> >
> > Dude.  It's *5 dollars*.  You could save that by forgoing your morning
> > coffee for a few days.  And that's over double what the expected target
> fee
> > structure will be.
> >
> > Honestly, if you can't scrounge up a few bucks a month for quality
> listings
> > data, you really should be rethinking your finances a bit.  That, or
> > reconsidering why you built a Myth box in the first place.
> >
> > Brett.
>
> Possibly it's not entirely the "dudes" decision.
> What makes sense to the "dudes" often fails to translate into a logic the
> wife
> can understand.
>
> -jm

Thanks Joe.  My point exactly.  Its not that we cannot afford $5.  It is
that MythTV is condidered a "play" project by the wife,  thus aquiring a
monthly subscription for a "play in the spare time" type of project is hard
to negotiate.  I am trying to convince her that I want to use this for the
long haul.  though at the same time myth has competition from the likes of
xp media center which I already have on another machine and I dont have to
pay for listings.  Until I get her on board, I am currently at the
tweaking/playing around stage.

BTW Brett,
What does your wife think about your mythtv venture at this time?  have you
been using it long, or still semi new?  If long time, how long before you
got your wife fully onboard where she used it instead of going upstairs to
another tv?

Im not picking, I am honestly asking as I am trying to roll this out at my
house.  My daughter (3yrs old) loves the being able to watch her cartoons,
which i have record.
--James