[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Nedim Cholich mythtv at cholich.com
Fri Sep 7 16:36:43 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Kevin Hulse <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> > nearly terminating it completely.
> >
> > That's not the impression I got at all.  Tribune was fishing for a way
> > get Myth users to pay for the epg data.  After they announced they were
>
>         I dunno. I don't think the amount of money involved her is of
> much interest to Tribune. I suspect that they are more concerned about
> loss of revenue from commercial customers.
>
> > going to "terminate it", they started soliciting for a model that would
> > allow them to charge Myth's users.  If they really wanted to terminate
> it,
>
>         I think here they were more interested in the community organizing
> the solution and policing things. They don't view the whole venture as
> worth
> their effort. If the policing and administration is free then they are
> willing
> to allow consumer users. Otherwise, it seems that they would rather not
> bother.
>
> > they would terminated it--not started fishing for money from Myth's
> users.
> > If the Myth community had said 'no' we won't pay for it, my guess is
> Tribune
> > would have gone back to giving it for free because it would have cost a
> lot
> > more to work around scrapers and try to handle the impact that it has on
> > their advertising model than to just continue to give it for free.  But
> > since the Myth developers offered to help them monetize it, of course
> > Tribune was happy with the outcome.

Absolutely! All these conspiracy theory loving folks need to put things in
perspective. Tribune is _HUGE_. How much money a year can they get from
selling their listings to SD? $100K for 5000 users?. That is pocket change.
They can barely hire a decent developer for that money to maintain the
feeds.