[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:46:04 UTC 2007

> P.S. That said, I still think a healthy discussion of screen-scrapers
> and alternative listing options is..... healthy.

The funny thing is, I'm not so sure.  Well, not that it isn't healthy, I
just don't think specific screen scraping techniques, data sources, etc,
belongs on this list.  MythTV makes use of XMLTV for a reason:  it places
the responsibility of screen scraping in a separate, reuseable product that
can be incorporated into other projects (and as a bonus, it also happens to
allow the MythTV project to remain at arms length with any questionably
legal practices).  So, my question is, why don't people like Robert take
this discussion there?

Now yes, I understand that there are thoughts of including some kind of
listings P2P sharing mechanism into MythTV, but I would argue that's a
mistake, as it convolves Myth, the PVR project, with another, mythical
listings sharing project.  IMHO, that sort of functionality belongs in yet
another package, so that it, too, can be reused between multiple projects.
At best, the discussion here should be limited to data export mechanisms, or
how to integrate MythTV with XMLTV.  That's it.  Past that, I think the
discussion belongs elsewhere, possibly on it's own list.

Brett.