[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:16:34 UTC 2007

On 9/6/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:58:22PM -0400, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> > I'm not berating the people having this discussion.  As a matter of
> > fact, I think this is the appropriate forum for the discussion.  Were
> > this the SD list, I'd 100% agree with Mike Dean and suggest it be
> > continued off-list.  But, since the Myth supported scraping (as a
> > primary input, no less) and the list previously discussed scraping, I
> > see no reason that it shouldn't continue to be discussed here.
>
> As I note in another thread, Phill, there *is* a reason.  If we get
> Tribune pissed off at SD, we're screwed... again.
> -- j
> --

I understand, but as I mentioned earlier, MythTV is not SD.  Were this
the SD list, I'd also see these discussions as a major concern.  I
completely see what you mean, but discussing screen-scrapers in
general (and from alternative sources as well) shouldn't be taboo on
this list (frankly, I don't think discussion of scraping Zap2it should
be taboo).  The OP (as far as my mail-client shows) lists several
possibilities.

Regardless, I agree that Tribune could get their pants in a bunch if
they start getting screen-scraped.  But, that shouldn't stop the
discussion of alternatives to SD.

(As noted before, I'll be in the SD crowd and not using scrapers anyway.)

--PhillW