[mythtv-users] Electrical power in my cable line? Is that bad?

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Fri Sep 7 04:34:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, September 6, 2007 8:15 pm, Keith Pyle wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Such problems can show up as AC hum in the video, usually as a double
>> bar slowly rising through the picture (assuming NTSC).
> I see a horizontal distortion on many recordings (see attachment, just
> below the rating box).  Is this a manifestation of the AC hum Brian
> mentioned?  I only see this on recordings captured with my PVR-500, not on
> televisions viewing the signal directly.
> I don't have a STB, but Time Warner did install a powered amplifier before
> I set up the PVR.  The outlets in use are properly wired (polarity and
> ground).

I'm late to the thread. Forgive me if this is (a) already said (b) bloody

Distortions and hum can be caused by tiny differences in voltage between
appliances. Tying everything to a common ground (TV. computer case, coax
splitteres, etc) can fix this. I have a long piece of cheap bailing wire
going from ground screw to ground screw behind my TV cabinet.

Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer