[mythtv-users] Import and Export of Program Listing Data

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 19:29:59 UTC 2007

> > Ramon Redondo malinon at gmail.com  Wrote:
> > Why Bittorrent is a bad idea:
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/276180#276180

I'm still reading, but part of the discussion there was really focused
on a completely automated system used by people worldwide, pulling
files in order.  Drawbacks were political and legal, like ISP's
blocking torrents even if they don't contain illegal data.  Valid
points, but torrents are still the big kid on the block for file
sharing.

One quote from __ is:
"Once a technology, such as BitTorrent,
has been tarred with a negative label, it's hard to disassociate it. Since
we'll probably need the cooperation of those who don't see the issue in the
way we do, using BitTorrent will put the project at a disadvantage from a
data-acquisition point of view. This isn't fair, but it's life."

But I was already assuming that we are not going to get a large scale
corporate cooperation for the data sources…  So, that's not completely
applicable here.

I think, for those same reasons, the torrent plugin  project got
little attention here on this list.  [Torrentocracy] was an RSS/Bit
Torrent plugin for MythTV.  I'm not sure where it went, and I've never
used it, but that's a good hunk of plugin code for MythTV that might
be considered for SMALL SCALE use in sharing data.

Like I said, I'm still reading…  But…  It looks like so much wouldn't
apply to a secondary model (which this is).  Expecting automation in
tracking down the data, worried about how partner data providers view
the distribution, I'm not sure how relevant that would be to this…