[mythtv-users] Yum upgrade to SD missing dependencies

Tony Rein trein at cinci.rr.com
Thu Sep 6 19:01:52 UTC 2007

On Tuesday September 4, 2007 4:07 am, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 12:04:46PM -0700, Lan Barnes wrote:
> > I had to repair yum (yum clean all) and fix a table in
> > mythconverg before my backup would work, but I was feeling
> > pretty cocky when I finally ran:
> >
> >   yum update \*myth\*
>
> please be aware that you are missing both subpackages of
> mythtv and mythtv's updated depdenncies that way. e.g. this is
> not recommended - see also selective/partial upgrades.

<Rant>
Those of us who have a Debian-based worldview want to know: How
do you make yum behave sensibly, ie behave like apt-get? If I
type "apt-get update <whatever>" it automatically figures out
all the dependencies and informs me of them. Why doesn't yum do
this? What the heck is the advantage of yum over apt-get anyway,
besides the cutesie name? Why do we use this brain-dead program?

Or is it possible to make yum handle dependencies properly?
</Rant>

Thank you. I feel better now.

Tony