[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 14:45:11 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Besides, you don't need to redistribute it.  Just let each person run
> the program that gets the data in the first place.  That program simply
> has to be able to output an XMLTV file, or, with XMLTV baseline
> compliance could even be used directly by Myth 0.20.2 or above.

I think the point being that one of the problems with scrapers is that
they cause a heavy load on a website, leading them to frequently change
their coding to stop scraping.  By just having one or two users hit the
website and then distribute that data to everyone else, you eliminate
the load on the website and distribute it amongst all the other users.
Hopefully, this keeps the website from changing so often, and gives you
a stable source of data.

It doesn't address the TOS limitations, but the poster said to ignore
that for the moment, so consider it ignored.

Jeff.