[mythtv-users] Electrical power in my cable line? Is that bad?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Sep 6 11:14:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 06:50 -0400, Jake Vickers wrote:
> Yep.  If it is the new standard you should have a "ground block" that
> looks like a barrel (cable splice) bolted to the wall outside with a
> green wire running from it to the ground wire running out of the power
> meter box (you may also just have a splitter that will have the green
> wire running from it, depending on the cable co's policies).  The
> cable will come from the pole (or up from the ground if in a
> underground area) to this block and then into your house or to a
> splitter,  If you're not on the new standard then your cable may come
> from the opposite side of the house as power and be grounded to a
> ground rod (same ground block or splitter with a wire running to a rod
> pounded into the ground, usually 4 feet or so) or to a water pipe.

Probably OP was looking for a more "diagnostic" method of testing his
actual cable line, like with a multimeter or something, rather than
having to visually inspect and identify whatever hardware the cableco
may have installed.


My other computer is your Microsoft Windows server.

Brian J. Murrell
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
Url : http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20070906/9d875673/attachment.pgp 

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list