[mythtv-users] Import and Export of Program Listing Data

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Sep 6 03:04:41 UTC 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 7:47 PM, Robert Current wrote:

>> Something like this?
>>
>> http://epgdownloader.sourceforge.net/
>>

> Something like that… but not that…
>
> Half of that is usable code, maybe… the first half isn't.  Not sure
> it's worth hacking that or starting from scratch…  It's perl, that's
> probably good, although I've not worked it before, I can read and
> understand what they did.  And a lot of the stuff in the contrib.
> directory of the myth code is in perl… so…  that is good.
>
> That parses HTML for tables.  I'm thinking of taking a direct dump of
> the SQL data from the mythconverg database.  The two input sources are
> different in structure, but the output would be the same.

Dumping SQL is bad. Schemas change between versions - especially bad
for devs that update their schema often. XML is good. You can
transform it easily into whatever you need using perl scripts or XSL.
It also removes the MythTV dependency.

If you use epgdownloader to take in the guide data, you can also use
it to export into xmltv. At least, that's what it looks like there:
http://epgdownloader.sourceforge.net/plugins_xmltv.html
Once in xmltv format, LOTS of PVR's can use it.