[mythtv-users] Import and Export of Program Listing Data

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Sep 6 02:43:02 UTC 2007

On 9/5/07, Robert Current <robert.current at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Rather than re-inventing a standard schema for importing and
> > exporting this data, I suggest using XMLTV's well-established schema.
> > That means getting all the data into XMLTV format. That means the
> > XMLTV people would be the most reliable source of information on
> > doing this.
>
> I could be wrong, but I think the standard is set by XMLTV already.  I
> think the Import for MythTV is already done by mythfilldatabase   I
> don't know what they could do to contribute.

They can assist with the proper data formatting of the grabber.  Nothing
about the grabber development really has anything to do with MythTV directly
since MythTV only requires that the data be XMLTV compliant.  All the hard
work from the import side is done already.

The parts that aren't done are the EXPORT from a filled database to an
> .xml file, which could be used by others.  Again, people overseas
> might want to share, I might want to do it to an un-networked system
> with a cable capture card down the hall from me… there are legitimate
> uses.  But that's part of MythTV code, not XMLTV.

Honestly, I don't see why most people would care at all about exporting and
peer sharing of data.  The process of downloading the data is easy enough
for most people to do directly so why bother adding the complexity?  And you
just might be opening up a grabber for violating terms by redistributing the
data.

Honestly, I think the solution (creation of alternatives) for MythTV
> has to be done inside MythTV existing structure.  1) export .xmltv
> data scripts.  2) solution for .xmltv data file distribution.  3) a
> GUI interface to do both of those from within MythTV.  But, that's my
> opinion… one I'm researching and willing to work on.

None of that is necessary.  You need:

1.  Directly download guide data either already in XMLTV or in another
format (doesn't matter to Myth how you download it)
2.  (optionally) Parse data into XMLTV format (again, doesn't matter to
Myth)
3.  Run mythfilldatabase to import file (already existing for you to use)

Done.

Kevin