[mythtv-users] help diagnosing audio problems

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Wed Sep 5 20:05:27 UTC 2007

Message: 15
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:27:59 -0700
From: David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] help diagnosing audio problems
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

On Sep 4, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Larry Roberts wrote:

> > OK, I think I'm loosing it.
>> >
>> > I have managed to loose audio when watching videos within the
>> > Mythfrontend.  I can drop to a command line and use mplayer and get
>> > the audio/video just fine, however nothing will give me audio
>> > within mythfrontend.
>

>I sometimes have this problem if something else has the audio device
>open.  Amarok is a common culprit on my desktop machine, since it
>likes to sit in the system tray.  An mplayer or kaffeine process
>running in the background will also do it -- sometimes they crash,
>lose their X window, but keep running anyway.  I know ALSA was
>supposed to fix this sort of device contention problem, but
>apparently it doesn't always work.

Well for some reason after rebooting back and forth between a couple of
kernel versions last night it suddenly started working.  Perhaps it was
just tired of getting rebooted?  Go figure.

I haven't tried today to see what the outcome will be but I'm hopeful it
was just having a bad night last night. :)

Larry