[mythtv-users] Slow MySQL query after delete

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 08:22:50 UTC 2007

On 9/4/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> It's been a long time since I ran a Postgres database, but I recall having
> to run a 'vacuum' script on it on a regular basis to keep it running
> properly.   So, probably six of one, half a dozen of the other.  I can run
> VACUUM, or I can run OPTIMIZE TABLE.  I don't really care which it is.

No longer needed (most of the time) on recent versions of Postgres if
you set up the autovacuum daemon. It does it automatically in the
background for you.

> One thing I've noticed about relational database people is they all develop
> a religious fervor for their own favorite database, and consider using any
> other to be the most horrible form of heresy.  I take all claims that one
> database engine is superior to another with a big grain of salt. ;)

While I admit that I do prefer Postgres over MySQL, I have had enough
experience with databases to know that locking yourself into one
database is not a good idea if you can avoid it.

-Dave