[mythtv-users] Perhaps I have asked the wrong question regarding watching Live TV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Sep 5 06:45:56 UTC 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 11:36 PM, Nick Gray wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 14:44 +1000, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>> I am trying to watch live TV with my MythTV system,
>>> I have a PVR-350.
>>> Recording and playback work great via mplayer, etc ...
>>> I didn't make any changes to Xorg.conf.
>>> I get the feeling this needs to be done to watch tv on the monitor
>>> Does myth TV require this
>>> can I not watch Live TV in a window ?
>>
>> You have installed mythfrontend, haven't you? If you're watching
>> recordings with mplayer that implies to me that you haven't! Install
>> mythfrontend, configure it and you will get a Watch Live TV menu item
>> when you start it up - that's how you can watch Live TV.
>>
>> Apologies if I've misunderstood.
>
> No sweat, I have the frontend installed and when I click on "watch
> live
> tv" everything gos to h*** in a handbasket. It literally takes a
> reboot
> to recover.
>
> I guess I am trying to determine if when you select live tv, can you
> watch that in a window or does it always take over whatever screen you
> have it piped out to?

Are you trying to watch LiveTV with the PVR-350 video out or are you
trying to watch it through a video card? If you're using the
PVR-350's video out function, you might want to look at this:
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fc4myth.php?
SID&expandables=closed&ivtv=open&pvr350out=open
(Scroll to the PVR-350 output section)

If you're trying to watch with another video card, there is a setting
in Appearance that lets you decide the size of the GUI and if the
video playback should be the same size, or if it should be smaller.
There is another setting to say if it should appear in a window or not.