[mythtv-users] Proper Recording Archive Procedure?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Sep 4 23:42:04 UTC 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Mike LaPlante wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Sorry if this is a thread-jack. But something that I've been
>>> meaning to
>>> ask. Why are all my recordings .mpg?
>>>

>> Because you're using a hardware MPEG encoder for a capture card or
>> are
>> capturing already-encoded MPEG from, i.e. DVB/ATSC sources.
>>

> Thanks, thats kind of a big DUH (hand meet forehead). I know the cards
> are mpeg encoders, just never really put two and two together. Well,
> stupid questions need answers too.
> Mike

One thing to note is that older versions of MythTV used to tack on
a .nuv extension even though the files were actually mpeg. It now
correctly identifies the recordings with the .mpg extension to
accommodate operating systems that blindly obey file extensions as
law. A lot of people were confused when they upgraded and their
recording format seemingly changed when in fact it was just the file
extension. :)