[mythtv-users] Proper Recording Archive Procedure?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 4 22:21:24 UTC 2007

On 09/04/2007 06:04 PM, Mike LaPlante wrote:
> Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
>
>> 1. Use NUVEXPORT for your archiving to save space. I use it with the
> Sorry if this is a thread-jack. But something that I've been meaning to
> ask. Why are all my recordings .mpg?

Because you're using a hardware MPEG encoder for a capture card or are
capturing already-encoded MPEG from, i.e. DVB/ATSC sources.

>  I was reading some other threads
> about exporting and everyone likes nuvexport, so I got it all installed
> then noticed all my recordings are already mpg.

Though it's still useful for transcoding to other formats (i.e. MPEG-4)
or cutting commercials or ... because you don't have to deal with Myth
filenames and it knows how to "talk" to Myth and the DB.

>  I don't have any
> automatic transcoding setup,

And if you did, your recordings would be NUV.  Myth's built-in
transcoder will transcode to MPEG-4 inside an NUV container (except for
the "lossless" transcoder, which simply clips sections out of MPEG-2
recordings).  The nuvexport script, on the other hand, allows you to
choose other formats (both container and video/audio formats).

>  only commercial flagging. I am, however,
> running SVN trunk. Has the NUV format been dropped in 0.21?

Nope.

>  I didn't see
> any thing about that in the release notes?

And for good reason.  :)

Mike