[mythtv-users] yum update errors - Fedora 7 and atrpms

Stephen Kitchener stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 17:50:47 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 04 Sep 2007, Michael Sutherland wrote:
> On 4-Sep-07, at 9:06 AM, John Fountain wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Can some one please let me know why I am getting these errors on
> >> Fedora 7
> >> using atrpms ??
> >>
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-33.fc7 is needed
> >> by package
> >> alsa-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-33.fc7 is needed
> >> by package
> >> fuse-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-33.fc7 is needed
> >> by package
> >> nvidia-graphics9755-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-33.fc7 is needed
> >> by package
> >> ivtv-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
> >
> > i'm running into the same errors. at least you know you are not alone.
>
> I had this issue when I upgraded to 20.2 on FC7.  To get me moving
> again, I had to remove those packages using yum, then perform an
> upgrade.
>
> yum remove alsa-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
> yum remove use-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
> yum remove nvidia-graphics9755-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
> yum remove ivtv-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
>
> once those older packages are gone, try:
>
> yum -y upgrade
>
> Once your system is up to date, try "yum install" those packages, again.
>
> Hope that works for you, it worked for me, except I only had 2 of the
> above 4 packages complaining.
>

> -Mike

Hi Mike,

I could do that - But I am unsure as to how the nvidia part of the system gets
upgraded.

I have read that I need to also install the stripped sources for the kernel
that I would be running, reboot and as it comes up, they are rebuilt/built
for the current system, is that true ???.

Also there has been some discussion wrt the ivtv drivers now being included in
the kernel.

I don't want to kill a system that is running ok, but would like to upgrade to
be current.

Steve